The new 2013 BMW R 1200 GS, a tough adventure bike, was revealed in the 2012 edition of INTERMOT motorcycle show in Cologne, Germany. Since its debut 30 years ago, the GS series has become the gold standard for adventure touring bikes; more than 170,000 GS’s have been sold. For 2013, the 1200 GS receives a ground-up redesign and the first professional reviews confirmed BMW’s advertising slogan: “The best GS of all times.”
The R 1200 GS features a completely new air/liquid-cooled boxer engine but the oil coolant (in its predecessor) has been replaced by a glycol/water mixture. Now the engine produces 125 hp (92 kW) at 7700 rpm and 92 ft-lb—15 extra hp and a few more torques than the older engine. Pricing for the United States hasn’t been announced yet. For all new features and highlights of the 2013 BMW R 1200 GS see below.
Riding the R 1200 GS—What Experts Say
Last month, BMW held a launch event for the R 1200 GS in South Africa allowing professional motorcycle journalists from around the world to test the bike. Kevin Duke from Motorcycle.com says that the new GS is noticeably quicker than the previous model—“fires up almost instantaneously” and the clutch, he says, has a very light pull. “The new GS is better in every respect.”
Zack Courts from Motorcyclist also praises the new GS. “As with Ducati’s Multistrada, Courts says, the ride modes transform the bike significantly, though BMW’s system is decidedly more subtle….There’s nothing like switching the bike from Hard to Soft when transferring from a smooth canyon road to a bumpy city street—and having the bike turn from sports car to SUV beneath you.”
The gold standard in adventure touring has been redesigned from top to bottom to become the best GS of all times.
Highlights of the new BMW R 1200 GS:
- Completely re-engineered for the ultimate in driving dynamics in Enduro segment.
- 1170cc displacement, maximum power 125 hp (92 kW) at 7700 rpm and maximum torque 92 ft-lb. (125 Nm) at 6500 rpm.
- Vertical-flow cylinder heads for even more efficiency and performance.
- Compact air-water-cooling for optimal heat management.
- Basic engine with a compact, lightweight and yet optimized for stiffness crankshaft.
- Vertical split case in open-deck construction.
- Integrated in the engine case six-speed transmission with wet clutch with anti-hopping function and reduced manual force.
- New intake system with 52mm throttle body for optimum power and torque curves.
- E-gas for improved rideability, refinement and presentation of special functions.
- Innovative exhaust system with electronically controlled exhaust flap for optimum power and performance and pithy boxer sound.
- User-selectable driving modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” with three different drive-by-inputs, in connection with ASC (Automatic Stability Control), ABS and ASC settings for off-road use as well as different Dynamic ESA settings for each mode (optional equipment ex works).
- New chassis with torsion stiff tubular steel bridge frame and bolted subframe.
- Newly laid out lightweight shaft drive, placed on the left side.
- Newly developed, optimized front Telelever and EVO Paralever rear for even more precise riding feel.
- Refined chassis geometric data and long swingarm for best traction.
- Optimized seat width and position, and adjustable handlebars for more comfort.
- Improved seat height for rider (step length).
- Specially designed for the R1200GS tailored wheel tire dimension of 120/70 R19 front and 170/60 R17 at the rear as a world first.
- Revised BMW motorcycle brakes with radial-mount Monoblock calipers at the front and Brembo two-piston caliper with larger rear brake disc (Ø 276 mm, 265 mm previously).
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard.
- Dynamic semi-active suspension (ESA optional equipment ex works).
- Headlights with optimized light output and LED daytime running lights (optional equipment ex works).
- World’s first motorcycle headlights with LED technology with integrated daytime running lights (optional equipment ex works).
- New electrical system with new partitioning of the feature sets.
- Advanced electric switch units.
- Electronic cruise control (optional equipment ex works).
- Preparation for navigation device with multi-controller to operate the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV (optional equipment ex works).
- Windshield with hand operated adjustment for best wind and weather protection.
- Multi-adjustable seat for perfect ergonomics.
- Quick removable license plate holder for off-road applications.
- Increased ground clearance (+8 mm).
- New instrument cluster with standard on-board computer. PRO-board computer as an option.
- Four main colors: Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire, and Thunder Grey metallic.
- Wide range of optional accessories and rider equipment.