In the last part of our review of 2011 World Championship of Custom Bike Building, we’ll show you the best custom bikes in the Production Manufacturer class and Performance Custom class. Check the best custom bikes in the Freestyle class and Modified Harley-Davidson class in our previous posts.
Production Manufacturer 1st Place – Darwin Motorcycles RLX
The winner in the Production Manufacturer class was the RLX built by Darwin Motorcycles. The RLX, valued at over $50,000, will be given away in a promotion to raise money for our troops.
Here are the bike’s specifications:
- S&S 132″ X-wedge.
- Baker FFP primary w/ Baker King Kong Clutch.
- Baker 6 Speed Transmission.
- 2 into 1 into 3 stainless exhaust built by Darwin Motorcycles (materials from D&D).
- Beringer Dual 4 piston front and single 4 piston rear brakes.
- Beringer hand controls.
- Brock’s Performance BST Carbon Fiber wheels 19″x120mm front, 19″x180mm rear.
- World Ceramic Bearings.
- Dunlap Sportmax tires. Ohlins Road/Track suspension.
- Racing Innovations Muscle Bike frame: 25 degrees rake.
- Autometer STACK race gauge.
- Braille carbon fiber battery.
- Vortex clip ons.
- Vortex sprocket.
- Vortex gas cap.
- Vortex/Darwin foot controls with reverse shifting (GP style 1 up – 5 down)
- Joker Machine bar end mirrors.
- Motion Pro cables & switches.
- MoFlo Air Cleaner.
- Alloy Art headlight.
- Hix Design custom seat.
- Escort / Passport radar detector (machined into top clamp)
- Cycle Electric Regulator & Stator.
- Darwin tag bracket.
- Darwin custom Top Clamp & rear brake hanger using Summit Machine.
- Custom body work by Darwin Motorcycles.
- Front Fender: Shark Skins.
- Paint: Manny’s Ink & Air.
Production Manufacturer 2nd Place – Kiwi Chieftain 1950’s
Kiwi Chieftain 1950’s, built by Kiwi Indian Motorcycle Co, became second in the Production Manufacturer class. Here are some specs of this custom bike:
- Oil tank in right side gas tank
- Spring frame
- Aerodraulic forks
- Suspension seat
- Electronic speedo
- Disc brakes
- 4 speed overdrive and synchromesh trans
- 12 volt, optional electric start
- Optional foot shift/hand clutch.
Production Manufacturer 3rd Place – Type 6 Zero Engineering (USA)
Third in this category was Type 6, built by Zero Engineering. This custom bike features:
- S&S 96ci engine
- Zero Engineering Soft tail frame
- 16″ spoke wheels
- Avon 5.00X16 tires
- Front and rear hydraulic disc brakes.
Performance Custom Class 1st Place – Sentoh AFT Customs
The Sentoh, built by AFT Customs, was originally a 1970 CB750 Honda. The bike has a one-off café-racer-inspired frame, RaceTech suspension, and Beringer brakes. The engine has been rebuilt with a hand-made, four-into-two exhaust system and a custom inlet manifold to mount a Mikuni HSR45 carb.
Performance Custom Class 2nd Place – Fuller Hot Rods Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
The building of “Rodan” is currently featured in the first episodes of Cafe Racer TV series.
- Customs Frame: 1969 Honda CB750 with custom rear section.
- Engine: 1969 Honda 750 with an 836 kit and CR Carbs.
- Rear Swing Arm: Yamaha Seca II modified to have oil tank in swing arm.
- Rear Wheel (Size): 5.50- 18″ steel rim with stainless spokes.
- Front Wheel (Size): 3.50-18″ steel rim with stainless spokes.
- Rear Shock(s): Fox shock with Hyperco.
- Bars: Custom made stainless clip- ons with Berringer Controls.
- Headlight: Custom cast housing with Buell lense and ring.
- Seat: Handcrafted aluminum seat pan with red leather by John Whitaker.
- Tank: Honda tank modified with knee cutouts with aircraft gas cap.
- Rear Sets: Custom made.
- Tail Section: Handmade Aluminum Rear with cast taillight bezel.
- Battery: Speedcell race battery.
- Brakes: Beringer inboard discs, hubs and 4 piston calipers front and rear.
- Tires (Sizes): Front 110/80-18. Rear 180/55-18.
- Exhaust: Custom stainless pipes with Cone engineering mufflers.
- Paint: Custom paint by JDK with stripping by Papa Studios.
- Plating/Polishing: Pro Plating Atlanta.
Performance Custom Class 3rd Place – RK Spring Frame by RK Concepts
RK Spring Frame by RK Concepts was third in Performance Custom Class. Below are Spring Frame‘s specs.
- Bike Name: RK Spring Frame.
- Year/Model:2011 RK Spring Frame.
- Engine Make/Size:
- Yamaha 450cc.
- Drivetrain: Yamaha.
- Frame Make/Type: RK Leaf Spring.
- Front End: RK stainless.
- Rake: 51.
- Swingarm: RK stainless.
- Wheels Front: Ride Wright Wheels 19.
- Wheels Rear: Ride Wright Wheels 19.
- Tires Front: Michelin 130/70/19.
- Tires Rear: Michelin 130/70/19.
- Brakes Front: N/A.
- Brakes Rear: Beringer 2 piston.
- Painter: Pat Lesiak.