Yesterday was the official start of the 70th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally (Sturgis, SD). Unofficially, rally events started Friday August 6. Rapid City journal reported that there were early signs of a big rally this year. Three days before the official opening, motels in surrounding areas were almost filled to capacity as Sturgis city sold 119 percent more vendor licenses than last year. Sturgis organizers expect half a million people to attend the rally, which is more than half of South Dakota’s current estimated population of 800K.
As always the rally will include a cornucopia of motorcycle events, including custom-bike building contests, concerts, and stunt shows.
Some interesting events from Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2010:
- Vendor Showcases: With more than 700 vendors offering motorcycle accessories and ,gear Sturgis will temporary turn into the world’s biggest shopping center for motorcycle enthusiasts.Leatherup.com will be one of the biggest motorcycle gear vendors at the rally this year, located at Rally Headquarters 1019 Main Street, the corner of Main and Junction.
- Concerts: the Legendary Buffalo Chip Campground has a strong concert lineup with performers like Ozzy Osbourne, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers, and Bob Dylan.
- Contests: Attendees will have the opportunity to see the American Motorcycle Dealer magazine’s seventh annual World Championship of Custom Bike Building, at Lazelle & 3rd Street. It started August 8 and will end with an award presentation at 3:00 PM August 11.
- New Attractions: A new attraction this year will be the Garage Shop Fabricator Showcase at the motorcycle expo.
- Favorite Attractions: Harley-Davidson Demo Rides will be held at I-90 & Exit 30, from August 7 to August 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
Here is the full list of events of 2010 Sturgis Motorcycle rally on the official website.